Early orthodontic treatment at True North Orthodontics in Calgary can be done for children as young as 7 years old. These services may be crucial in your child's development to prevent potential issues in the future.
What is early orthodontic treatment?
Early treatment is provided by an orthodontist and can be crucial in the development of your child's healthy smile. Early orthodontic treatment involves taking the first steps to prevent developing orthodontic problems from becoming full-fledged.
Two Phases of Treatment
This type of treatment is done in two phases: the first step is addressing issues before they become problems, and the second is treating problems after the child has grown older.
Two-phase orthodontic treatment is a unique process that encompasses tooth straightening and physical, facial changes. The major advantage of a two-phase treatment is that it maximizes the opportunity to accomplish the ideal healthy, functional, aesthetic result that will remain stable throughout your child's life. The main goal is to reduce the need for intense orthodontic treatment in the future.
Early Treatment FAQs
When should my child visit an orthodontist?
It is recommended that all children visit an orthodontist for an initial appointment by age 7.
The teeth appearing at this age allow the Orthodontist to evaluate the fit of the upper and lower teeth as well as to detect any problems, such as crowding of the teeth and negative oral habits (ie. thumb sucking).
For some, a timely screening will lead to significant treatment benefits. For most, the principal immediate benefit is a parent's peace of mind.
What are some benefits of considering early treatment?
- Influence jaw growth in a positive manner
- Improve tooth eruption patterns and width of the upper and lower jaw
- Correct harmful habits (for example: thumb sucking)
- Improve the appearance of the teeth
- Simplify and/or shorten treatment time for later orthodontics
- Improve some speech problems
- Preserve or gain space for erupting permanent teeth
What can I expect at my child's first orthodontic appointment?
- We will help plan the current and future treatment for your child
- We will always try to make your child feel comfortable
- We work on developing a relationship with our patients and their caregivers
- We will always educate the patient/caregiver so that you can make informed decisions
- We will make a plan that will either eliminate or reduce extensive treatment in the future.